Final papers from my PhD

I am happy to report that the last two papers from my PhD are now available for everyone to read!

Two Is Better Than One: Studying Ustilago bromivora–Brachypodium Compatibility by Using a Hybrid Pathogen

This, along with the U. bromivora genome paper,  is probably the most important paper from my PhD. Those two papers formed the basis of my thesis. Although I did not manage to fully answer the question I set out to answer, this is a paper where most of the experiments, most of the analysis and most of the writing was done by me, so it is special to me. It’s also quite interesting! If you want to know exactly what we learned, you can read the paper itself but I will give you a brief summary of what we were trying to learn.

We knew there were two very closely-related fungal species which could infect different host plants. This told us that although they were very similar, there was something important about them that was different; we wanted to know what that was. Even more exciting, we could create a hybrid between the two fungi that was still able to infect one of the host plants. What I was trying to do was take the hybrid and breed it over and over again with the parent that couldn’t infect while making sure that the hybrid could infect. After enough generations, we should then find the hybrid would be genetically almost identical to the non-infecting parent but with just a tiny bit of the infecting parent inside it. That would tell us what the difference between them was and we could then try to figure out how that part of the genome led to interactions with the plant. Continue reading